View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2018 Dec 10, 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
IVAN 2104 - Grand Touring Concepts Project Lada Signet 

Hello everyone and thank you for the invitation!

I am here to share the project build of GTC's IVAN2104 project which has been well received on youtube. Shawn, our main tech purchased an original 1991 Lada Signet Wagon about a year ago to replace the last Lada project, a 1993 Lada Niva.

The Signet was 100% original and purchased from the first owner, who after many years of service, parked it on block under a tree. The car worked, but required many repairs due to age and neglect, as the project carried on we began to document the progress through a series of videos. These videos have gained an international following beyond what we had ever expected and are developing into a long running series.

Please take a look, share and subscribe to our youtube channel, Facebook page, and feel free to ask any questions about our project or activities. Shawn and I will continue to post updates along the way.

Thanks again!

IVAN2104 Video Series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8pHnXq7rNS4laDMuBNW0DHX9kCDOAMMh

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUpmR1ydr6OQ8LrccIARSPg

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/grandtouringconcepts/

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
1995 Mustang GTS Supercharged
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2016 Dec 26, 9:39 pm

Hi Darren and welcome.

I'm very glad you decided to fallow my invitation and join us making this forum more advanced with interesting information and content.

Feel free to post pictures as well as video links. If you have some questions or google translation does not make much sense feel free to ask. I hope to see some interesting content here.
Good luck!

2016 Dec 27, 3:36 pm

New Video is up! https://youtu.be/Q4w1GXFUu5E

In this episode Shawn and Darren cover the basics of Lada/Weber carburetor disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and basic setup.

This video comes in response to special request from a youtube subscriber "machine gun" who asked in the comments of another video for insight on cleaning and setting up a Lada carburetor.

Please Like, Share, Comment and Subscribe!

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Jan 04, 4:05 am

GTCDarren wrote:
New Video is up! https://youtu.be/Q4w1GXFUu5E

In this episode Shawn and Darren cover the basics of Lada/Weber carburetor disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and basic setup.

This video comes in response to special request from a youtube subscriber "machine gun" who asked in the comments of another video for insight on cleaning and setting up a Lada carburetor.

Please Like, Share, Comment and Subscribe!

Welcome to Lada world :D usual problem from Lada assembly line. Something that doesn't fit or work like it should from factory is common practise.
Well good thing is that you got a Weber type russian copy carburetor, so it brings you a little bit more performance and less problems than Shawn mentioned vacuum DAAZ (ДААЗ) or better known as Ozone (Озон).
Ozone can be a good carb but it needs some work put in to, so it will start performing better. It was designed to make Lada engine more fuel efficient,but sadly most of the time it failed to do so. Because of pour vacuum, second chamber would never open enough or on time. What carb did you have on a dyno test? I forgot, was it the Ozone?
Also guys here are using vaz 2108 (Samara) Solex carburetors due to better air/fuel mixing characteristics.

How ever, from my personal practice all this is waist of time if you are looking for visible changes. Twin carbs are the answer to any lack of torque. I was getting better MPG with twin carbs then with stock Lada carb. Idea of ''feeding'' every cylinder separately makes huge difference to engine performance but also to your pocket :).

2017 Jan 06, 1:23 pm

serzas wrote:

Well good thing is that you got a Weber type russian copy carburetor, so it brings you a little bit more performance and less problems than Shawn mentioned vacuum DAAZ (ДААЗ) or better known as Ozone (Озон).
What carb did you have on a dyno test? I forgot, was it the Ozone?

We were using the DAAZ carb on the dyno test, and it is a fairly new model, it was purchased for the 2121 we had a few years back, new in the box from Lada World.

Neither Shawn or I care much for vacuum secondary carbs but at the time it was all we had access to.

For further induction we have been tossing around ideas that range from a proper Weber to conversion of a North American Holley 2-barrel carb. We will see as things develop.

For now the aim of the project is to work with cheap modifications that any Lada owner can afford or do at home and record our power improvements. After that we will build more power with forced induction almost certainly.

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Jan 07, 6:09 am

I understand what you are saying also I understand that project is developing in series.
I have mentioned 2108 Samara Solex as a bolt on solution with minimum investments, this mode is very popular across Lada owners in our neck of the woods, and any Lada owner can do this conversion on his own.
Sure, there are many Solex and Weber carbs that will fit original intake mountings but that's just the part of the story. Lada heads simply don't breathe good enough. Intake channel porting makes huge difference even with stock valves and chamber. Also take a look at Lada intake manifold shape and length, nothing good.
If you decide to stay with single carb, solution with a bit of modifying is manifold from Niva 21213 Mono injector. Personally I haven't tested it (simply as I have huge stock of side drafts :D), but from what I have heard improvement is visible. Same story is with a head cam.
Holley conversion would be an interesting one for us to see, as they are rare here. I imagine there would be no problems for you to jet it correctly because of variety of affordable parts.

While you were on Dyno with Ozone carb, did it worked well? HP are super low, maybe second chamber never opened :D.

2017 Jan 08, 11:29 am

Hey there, been busy, sorry for the delay.

It's a big job being a content creator, editor, and media manager all as one person, while working a normal job throughout the day.

Back to your points.

The 2121 TBI manifold is an interesting angle, we will have to investigate that one further.

In our last video we constructed a flow bench to test the cylinder head, and to support porting work. We plan to examine the intake side as well and explore the effects of valves and larger lift cams.

We have been working with Lada Moscow to find a Supercharger compatible camshaft, but full specifications are difficult to obtain and none of the available camshafts are ideal for the supercharger.

Ideal would be a cam with a wide lobe separation angle, a higher lift on the exhaust valve and greater duration for the exhaust, these do not seem to exist.

As a substitute we are looking at a conventional high lift cam, but considering a shorter duration to prevent boost loss due to exhaust valve overlap, again the exact specifications are frustratingly difficult to obtain and make our choices less informed than we would like.

The dyno was with the Ozone carb, however we think the timing chain and related parts could be excessively worn, allowing the cam to retard. The torque figure is ideal but occurs far too early in the RPM range, which is characteristic of a camshaft retard.

We will be fixing those pieces and re-timing the cam, then heading back to the dyno for another test. If nothing else, it should serve as a lesson to any owners that may not think timing part maintenance is important.

We have also launched our website, it is here: www.gtconcepts.ca and features, photos, articles, and other information.

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Jan 19, 6:00 am

Well done, it's not easy to be one man band. Huge thanks for posting and shearing info with us here.

21213 mono manifold explained and modified in practice: https://www.drive2.ru/l/2133084/ Yes it's in russian but pictures are very clear.

I can't tell much about Lada Moscow, but from what I can see on web page they have regular selection of parts like every re-seller and they are not cheep at all.
Have you tried to look at OKB cams? They are making high quality cams and range is very wide, so maybe something will suit you guys here is a link http://www.raspredval.ru/product/dc21213.phtml . It would be a good idea to drop them an email and buy straight from them could save you some cash avoiding re-sellers charge dynacams@gmail.com.
Also you could talk to Havassy http://www.havassy-motorsport.hu/ He is Hungarian tuner highly rated among racers, I'm sure he can make a cam suitable for your needs. Dr. Tuha from Estonia is also making custom cams, but I'm sure that you could find someone in Canada to do the same.
Sure, car will perform different as soon all bits are sorted.
Good luck!

2017 Jan 19, 3:34 pm

That is a good amount of information and a rethink on some of the data we had, thank you.

Currently in Canada we can get nearly anything the US market can get, very easy, and there is a huge following of V8 North American cars. However once the project strays outside US domestic cars, options are narrow for getting custom things built.

I was once told an RX-7 Rotary cannot be rebuilt, I know it is incorrect, but it demonstrates the attitude that is common for part suppliers and building in North America. They are not willing to explore outside their comfort zone.

As Shawna and I move through this project we are discovering lots, and have to often fall back to the old ways of testing to learn the knowledge or data we need when it comes to the Lada. With an NA V8 car, I grab a book off the shelf and everything is easy to research.

We are still at the planning phase and do thank you for the TBI manifold article, the photos explain exactly what is going on and it is plain to see why it is a great option. Plainly it has balanced flow.

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Jan 22, 11:41 pm

You are welcome, I'm glad I could help.

I fully understand that you got very limited access of Lada parts in Canada so you have to buy and use what's offered online. Sadly most of new parts that are russian made are in very poor quality. When it comes to racing parts or other tuning situation can get even worst, so you got to be careful as you can never know what you gonna get.

Are you in any progress with a new engine?

2017 Jan 24, 8:19 pm

We are still working with the original 1500, we intend to see what it can do with some work in stages. We also have had a number exciting developments that may keep us very busy with Ladas for the next while. I cannot say too much more as it will spoil the surprise.

Also I have opened an article for enthusiasts to list their clubs and forums, would you like this forum to be added to the list?

The article is on my page here:

http://gtconcepts.ca/main/index.php/2017/01/30/184/

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Feb 01, 7:15 am

Just a quick drop in to share our newest video, things have been very busy for us, three days of Lada work. I will be back to chat again but until that time enjoy our video:

Our production schedule has been crazy, but we've put in overtime to bring you another #IVAN2104 video! https://youtu.be/3bqIrESVn3g

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Feb 06, 7:13 am

Rapid update, we worked our way through checking the camshaft timing last weekend and discovered that as factory installed the camshaft was 5 degrees advanced.

Attempting to correct this advance was impossible with the factory camshaft sprocket, so we used one purchased from Lada Power. It required modification to work correctly without striking parts of the camshaft and locking the engine.

We eventually got it sorted and moved on to actually trying the engine with proper camshaft installation angle.

The engine behaves very differently, now providing power to much higher in the rev range and it no longer falls flat at 4400 rpm. Shawn tested it to 7-7500 rpm and it will finally pull to that point with load. Previously this would be impossible.

I suspect this may have been our main cause for low performance on the dyno originally as advancing the camshaft timing will shift HP and TQ peaks to lower in the rev range.

My math suggests that on a Lada engine for every 1 degree of advance on the camshaft, shifts the HP and TQ peak rpm 300 rpm lower in the rev range. We hope to test this theory on the dyno again in March.

Until then we have ice racing on Sunday with the 2104, we wanted to wait until we build our rally car, but Shawn wants to race immediately so off we will go.

2009 Shelby GT500
2003 SVT F150 Lightning
2005 Honda CBR-600F4i

2017 Feb 11, 5:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]